Monday, May 16, 2016

And so It Begins....

Well, we knew it would likely happen but still nothing can prepare you for "that moment" when your child cries because of a break in her bone. She was upstairs building with legos when my son came down and said she was crying. I at first thought he meant she was crying because they wouldn't share but after taking only a few steps, I realized her crying meant pain. We brought her down to couch and I quickly tried to remember what I needed to know.  My mind was mostly a blank but I did manage to send my son for his dad and try to immobilize. I pulled out a sling completely forgetting I have ace bandages to wrap. I got an ice bag and began to try to locate phone # of other OI moms for advice. Luckily a fb mom suggested I wrap (duh) and my clear thinking husband suggested we call a neighbor friend who is a chiropractor. He came right over, agreed it was a fracture, and showed me best way to wrap.  I gave her Motrin and she began to feel more comfortable.  I regretted keeping her in her dress after church since there was no way I was going to attempt to remove it and dresses are more difficult for getting her on/off toilet.We made it through the night with another dose of pain meds and today she says it hurts just a little. She has progressed to pulling her arm out of wrap  and not wanting me to fix it. She is using it to assist her other hand when she needs to.

 

 I realized that you can't ever be prepared without the hands on that only experience can give you. This will be our new normal and I hope it won't shake me up quite so much next time. My God is more than sufficient to meet all our needs for now and in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment