Thursday, May 19, 2016

One Month our Daughter

    It was a short month ago in Shanghai, April 19th, when we had our official adoption of Willow Joy Xian. To be truthful, we were a bundle of nerves. We had met our daughter the day before and had spent enough time with her that we were very aware that we were signing papers for a child that we were woefully unprepared for. We had researched and prepared for a child with O.I.; a child that everyone said was sweet, but what we didn't prepare for was a child with severe ticks. We were ready for grief and anxiousness, but not for the animal instincts of spitting, slapping and pinching. Everything in the natural told us to Run, say "No," and get out of there; yet, God had started us on this journey and we knew he was aware of the past, present and future of both this child and Dan and I. As the turmoil and panic swirled around us, I kept telling myself that in a month, things would be much different.  A month goes so fast; a blink of the eye, and problems are changed, opportunities are discovered and you can be over that hill that looked so big when you began.

    Now we are at that month mark and so much has changed. After 2 very stressful weeks in China we were overjoyed to be home with our kids. Our days have changed drastically. I have taken Willow to 2 hospitals: one for an emergency and one for a clinic and treatment. I now wake up @ 6:30am to a child that needs to be carried downstairs, toileted with assistance and wants to dress immediately. I struggle with activities for her because she has limited Playing skills. We struggle with the language but she is learning rapidly and added 2 phrases today: "which one" and "what are you doing?"  She is a ball of energy and still very stubborn but she has learned quickly that mom and dad are boss and that we don't bargain for things.  She has broken a bone and within 48 hours was out of her bandage and wanting to go. She gives hugs, kisses, says "I love you," and now will nod yes when we say it to her as acceptance of the fact.

   Things are not perfect: my back is sore from lifting and I miss my morning devotion time. I really don't have a spare moment unless I want to stay up late. I am struggling to know what I should let her do and what I should curtail. We are living day to day, yet there is a fullness to our days. Willow has a great interest in Jesus: she wants to hear the stories and wants me to sing the song. Tonight I had the wonderful privilege of hearing her little voice sing along with me, " Yes, Jesus Love Me.... yes, Jesus loves me..." There is nothing sweeter than that.  Out of great suffering, comes great blessings. 

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to meet her. With the language barrier, there is no way to prepare her for thee onalaught of relatives and friends thaat is about to happen......I hooe it is not too overwhelming for her

    ReplyDelete